Curriculum Available: All curricula are compatible with the California State Science Standards.
Sense of Place: An introductory activity geared toward gaining an appreciation for not only the variety of landscapes California offers, but how our site fits into it both historically and in present day.
Geology: The Santa Cruz Mountains are part of the larger Pacific coastal ranges and sit at the northern end of the famous San Andreas Fault. Learn how they were formed and how they fit into the complex geology that defines the California coastline.
Redwood Ecology: Learn about Redwood and mixed deciduous forests. Hunt for banana slugs and sample the lemon flavor of the redwood sorrel plant.
Human History: Study how the Ohlone (Costonoan) Native Americans lived and worked on the California coast, hunting and gathering from the ocean and redwood forest.
Fire Ecology: Coastal redwoods are a species that depend upon fire for propagation and old growth forests have seen the effects of forest fires many times as evidenced by visible fire scars. Learn the about fire and the adaptations many in this ecosystem have allowed them to thrive in the face of this destructive force.
Outdoor skills: how would you survive in the natural environment without the benefit of modern technology and its conveniences? Learn about edible plants, structure building, making fire and the like!
Evening Programs: Astronomy, Sensory Awareness and Campfire
Journaling: Redwood forest specific journal that can be utilized for observational, subject and individually based journaling.
Group building: Activities facilitated by your naturalist to help your trail group grow as a functional unit.
Trust Initiatives: Trust building activities to support individual challenge activities.
- Natural Bridges State Park: One hour away, this spot offers beach time, awesome tide pooling and even scheduled Ranger talks.
- Bean Hollow State Beach: The closest tide pools to Skylark, groups often schedule a tide pool session at the beginning or end of their trip.
- Green Oaks Creek Farm: Tour three acres of a beautiful organic farm. Learn how produce is grown in a natural and healthy way.
- Big Basin State Park: Enjoy the coastal side of California’s oldest state park where one of the largest continuous stands of old growth redwoods on the California coast.
- Ano Nuevo State Park: See one of the two large elephant seal rookeries on the central coast. Learn about their life cycle and why they keep coming back year after year.
- Southerly Options:
- Kayaking: Venture to Monterey or Halfmoon Bays to explore by sea, and possibly see an otter!
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Arguably, one of the best aquariums in the world, this is a unique opportunity to get up close and personal with marine life without getting your feet wet!
- T-Shirts and Hoodies: Naturalist at Large swag ordered in advance with your school name and the year to commemorate your tri
- Dormitory-style bunk bed lodging for 165 guests in 4 cabins, 2 lodges, and 1 sleeping area (bunkroom).
- Kitchens that provide high quality food to groups in main camp. Smith Dining Hall can accommodate up to 220 in the dining hall and even more in the outdoor BBQ area.
- Outdoor meeting spaces and a large amphitheater.
- Hiking: Short accessible trails, which connect with more extensive trail systems for those who are looking for longer and more challenging adventures. Redwood Glen shares borders with San Mateo Memorial Park and Pescadero Creek Park, and is connected with Portola State Park via Old Haul Road, with Big Basin State Park an ambitious but doable 9 miles away for trail runners and well-seasoned day hikers.
- Recreation: A large ball field, just below Smith Hall, is available for softball, soccer, and large group games. A paved outdoor basketball court, sand volleyball pit, tetherballs, horseshoes, ping pong, and foosball are also available. An enclosed, sturdy wooden play structure is also easily accessible for children of all ages. During the summer months our swimming pool and diving area are open, with certified lifeguards provided at no additional cost.